Prepare a Home DIY Dyeing Kit
Starting a DIY project is easy, since you probably already have all the supplies that you need. To make the process even simpler, you can make a Dyeing Kit so everything needed is in one area before you start.
The basics are the same for any project. You will need gloves to protect your hands from staining, as well as something to protect your work area. Have a roll of paper towels of white cotton fabric scraps to test dye colour ready. After you have the basics add any other creative tools based on need.
Home Dyeing: Basic Supply List
- Tintex fabric dye of choice: primary colours create other colours when mixed together, while black & navy are good dyes to always have on hand -- the dye colour wheel has more info about colour theory.
- Rubber or plastic gloves
- Plastic sheet for protecting work area (optional)
- Newspapers or craft paper for protecting work area (optional)
- Paper towels (or scraps of white cotton fabric) for testing dye colour
- Pastic bucket (optional depending on the dyeing technique you use) can store all items in your kit
- A few plastic containers for mixing different colours (can also include spray bottle as well as squirt bottles)
- Measuring cup, tablespoon and teaspoon
- Rubber bands, or rope/string for tie dye designs
- Sponge brush, paint brush or even small pencil eraser for making designs like polka dots (optional)
- Clothes pins for securing fabric designs or hanging fabric to dry
Of course, you can add more or less elements to your home DIY dyeing kit. It all depending on the projects that you like to do the most. Just let your creativity guide you.