Dyed Red, White and Blue Glasses
After we did an easy red and white DIY for Canada Day we did red, white and blue glasses project. Yes, you can use fabric dye for fun projects like dyeing your clear polycarbonate lenses! We made these colourful dyed glasses with a little extra dye that are perfect for an Independence Day party.
- Tintex Fabric Dye
- Clear plastic (polycarbonate) glasses
- Measuring cup
- Rubber gloves
- Stainless steel or plastic bowl
- Wear rubber or plastic gloves to protect hands from staining and/or protect work area with plastic or newspaper as needed.
- The hand dyeing method was used: tap water was heated with a kettle. Add the required amount of Tintex using a measuring cup/measuring spoon and thoroughly mix until it is completely dissolved.
- The dye colour guide has more information about mixing custom colours using core Tintex dyes.
- The polycarbonate lenses were then placed into the dye solution for 5 minutes (you can adjust the time as needed for deeper or lighter colour).
- After the desired colour was achieved they were rinsed and ready-to-wear.
Note: For two colours dip half of lenses into one colour and dip the other half into another colour.