Valentine's Day Dyed Red Dress
Choose to update a dress with Scarlet or Cardinal Red (or you can mix both together for a custom colour) for Valentine's Day.
Our dye is designed to work on most washable fabrics (suitable for cotton, linen, silk, nylon, acetate, rayon, wool and viscose. Do not use on 100% polyester or 100% acrylic. Tintex works best on clean and damp fabric with the powder dissolved in very hot water (use a kettle or microwave to heat the water). Hot tap water is not ideal. The hand dyeing stovetop method is the preferred technique for brights. You can use double the usual amount of dye for the dry fabric weight to get more vibrant colours. Active dyeing times may vary from 20 or 30 minutes to an hour depending on desired results and the fabric used. For best results, it is helpful to wash freshly dyed items alone or with similar colours.
- Tintex Cardinal Red fabric dye (or use Scarlet Red; mix a custom dye colour using the colour guide)
- Colour Remover (optional)
- Mixing container (glass, stainless steel, plastic etc.)
- Measuring spoon
- Measuring cup
- Paper towels
- Plastic cover for work surface
- Rubber or plastic gloves
- Protect work area with plastic and wear gloves to avoid staining hands.
- If needed, use Colour Remover to lighten the colour of the dress before dyeing the dress red.
- Use the hand dyeing method or choose another dyeing method. To hand dye, boil water in a kettle and set aside for 15 minutes or until water has cooled slightly. Water can also be heated up in a microwave for 1-2 minutes in a microwave safe container.
- Mix hot water with required amount of Tintex fabric dye. Create a custom shade, using the colour guide as inspiration and mix different amounts of 2-3 colours together. Brighter or darker colours will use more dye; pastels like pink will use less dye.
- Test dye colour on a scrap of fabric or a paper towel. Adjust dye colour intensity as desired.
- Place dress in dye bath. Agitate and rinse well when colour is slightly darker than needed (fabric id darker while wet).
- Rince well until water runs clear, wash & dry as usual.
- Clean up work area with soap and water or bleach if needed.